* The newsletter should have a documented, proven track record
* The newsletter should not be free
* It should contain fresh, well-written articles
* It should have a free trial
* The newsletter should offer a satisfaction guarantee (30 days or similar)
Search engines are also a powerful tool at your disposal when it comes to checking out the legitimacy and history of a stock market newsletter. Spend some time searching around and see what turns up before subscribing to any advisory publication.